Sunday, January 18, 2015

A Re-reading of Pretties

Unfortunately, my Uglies book has mysteriously disappeared, but I was able to re-read Pretties, the second book in the trilogy.
       
                                                       (from Wikipedia)

Before the re-read, I remembered loving the book. I remembered rooting for Zane, the central love interest. But after reading it six or seven years later, I didn't love the book as much. I wish I could have read Uglies since it is my favorite of the three novels. Pretties just did not live up to my expectations while re-reading.

I mean, I still liked the book. I still found it interesting because Scott Westerfeld really brings out this new, futuristic culture with the slang (bubbly, pretty-making, etc.) and the technology available. By this aspect I was pleasantly surprised, because I had forgotten. The general plot line I knew from the many reads I did as a tween, but I loved re-experiencing the small stuff.

Places in the book I had originally tween girl squealed at now made me sigh in frustration. (I'm looking at you, Zane and Tally). But that might be because of growing annoyance with romances I used to read like Twilight or pretty much any other paranormal romance novel I read as a tween.

There were a lot of aha! moments as well. My mind hadn't made the connections when I was younger when the novel referenced people or places or different aspects of the world we live in now, probably because, from six or seven years ago, I went through high school and college and hadn't yet learned about those things. I actually smiled at certain places because I knew what the book was talking about.

The re-read was kind of bittersweet. In one way I lost a lot of love for the book that helped me get into reading; in another way, I discovered parts or aspects of the novel and trilogy that I hadn't known before.

I really, really need to find my Uglies book.

2 comments:

  1. I had the same experience reading my book. The teen drama wasn't as compelling, but there were things mentioned or reference that I know I didn't understand when I was 12. It was kind of cool, but also kind of made me realize that maybe these authors are writing a little too adult without realizing it. They have experience a different generation, and no matter how hard they try, they won't be able to perfectly blend in with ours. They might be able to interest us and speak to us, but there's definitely stuff that sticks out. It's too bad you couldn't read the first book. I remember really liking it but I bet I would have had the same reaction as you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most notably I have those aha! moments when I'm watching a childhood film that was possibly a bit mature for me at the time. Rewatching as an adult allows me to fully understand and digest the material. Much like our rereading's, I think that we all as a group and as a class relived a magical moment (no pun intended) and were possibly disappointed, but at the same time enlightened. Go team Alyssa!

    ReplyDelete