So, I'm having a lot of firsts in this class.
This book was one of them.
I've heard about books in lyrical form but have never actually read one until now. It was a quick read with all the white space and short poems, and I was pleasantly surprised how well I grasped the content. Originally I thought I would never understand a thing since its all poems, and who understands poems anyway? But I could.
I find it amazing that all of these little poems are stories in themselves that connect to the larger story--an African American girl navigating childhood and trying to figure herself out. A typical theme. I nearly forgot it was a memoir. I didn't even know memoirs could be lyrical.
I don't necessarily think that this book in itself deserved to get the National Book Award; but then again, I'm not entirely sure how these awards go. I think this book would connect much more to African American girls rather than me--my family, as far as I know, never fought in the Civil War, and I don't come from descendents of slaves or have lived in the South. It's because of these things that I felt less of a connection. But I liked the style. I borderline love the style.

No comments:
Post a Comment