Thursday, March 19, 2015

The House of the Scorpion

I would have to say that The House of the Scorpion was my second favorite book, after The Book Thief. I'm not one for super realistic coming-of-age stories, and if I do read them, there has to be some kind of spice--interesting and funny characters, major trauma, actually sounding like a teenagers, etc. My favorite novels are more than realistic coming-of-age novels. Usually there has to be something radically different from my real world in order for me to really, really like them, like a fantasy or science fiction element.

Obviously, The House of the Scorpion would fit that.

I think my favorite aspect of this book was Matt and the world around him trying to figure out how human he is and that age old question of, what does it mean to be human? It's a very interesting question, especially for this book since Matt is a clone--a sane clone--and every other clone is stripped of their intelligence. The most vivid scene for me was when Matt and Maria are led to the hospital and Matt is astonished (to put it lightly) to see a clone strapped to a table wailing in fear and pain. I could picture is so, so clearly.

Celia and Tam Lin were, in my opinion, the best characters. When Celia declared that she had basically been poisoning Matt with arsenic so El Patron couldn't harvest his organs so he could live another fifty years I honestly almost hoorayed aloud. El Patron totally deserved that.

And then Tam Lin. Tragic. By far my favorite.

The ending was gasp-worthy. I did NOT see that mass murder coming. I give props to Nancy Farmer for giving the detail about the ground shaking a 100 pages before knowing what it was about, because I completely forgot about it and had to smile at that cleverness.

Happy Thursday.

1 comment:

  1. I honestly feel like Tam Lin was one of the most under-represented characters in this book. I really, really wanted more of Tam Lin! He seemed so down-to-earth and real, and with that little bit of mystery still around him--even after we find out his "backstory", we never really know everything about him. We know he was a political radical, but not the story that brought him to that end... I think that's why Tam Lin was one of the more intriguing characters in this series for me.

    I honestly completely forgot about the ground shaking point until you pointed it out! That's some awesome close reading there. Just goes to tell you what good foreshadowing can do, I suppose!

    ReplyDelete